Both typical enhancers and super enhancers associate with corneal epithelial identity genes
Ectodermally derived epithelial cells use a common set of regulatory regions marked by H3K4me1; cell type specificity is conferred by enhancer activation and SE formation
Enhancers unique to epithelial cell types are close to genes that confer cell type–specific functions
KLF7 and KLF4 exhibit reciprocal expression patterns during corneal epithelial development
KLF7 antagonizes KLF4 in the control of corneal epithelial cell differentiation
Single nucleotide polymorphisms linked to corneal diseases map to corneal epithelial enhancers
Single nucleotide polymorphisms linked to corneal diseases affect the function of corneal epithelial enhancers
SNP rs6758183 decreases predicted Ets factor EHF enhancer binding affinity
- Walford G.A.
- Gustafsson S.
- Rybin D.
- Stančáková A.
- Chen H.
- Liu C.T.
- Hong J.
- Jensen R.A.
- Rice K.
- Morris A.P.
- Mägi R.
- Tönjes A.
- Prokopenko I.
- Kleber M.E.
- Delgado G.
- et al.
- Manning A.K.
- Hivert M.F.
- Scott R.A.
- Grimsby J.L.
- Bouatia-Naji N.
- Chen H.
- Rybin D.
- Liu C.T.
- Bielak L.F.
- Prokopenko I.
- Amin N.
- Barnes D.
- Cadby G.
- Hottenga J.J.
- Ingelsson E.
- et al.
Identification and characterization of SEs and TEs in human corneal epithelial cells
SNPs linked to corneal diseases affect the activity of corneal epithelial enhancers
- Tugores A.
- Le J.
- Sorokina I.
- Snijders A.J.
- Duyao M.
- Reddy P.S.
- Carlee L.
- Ronshaugen M.
- Mushegian A.
- Watanaskul T.
- Chu S.
- Buckler A.
- Emtage S.
- McCormick M.K.
KLF7 antagonizes KLF4 in corneal epithelial cells
Chromatin immunoprecipitation assays
- Blankenberg D.
- Von Kuster G.
- Coraor N.
- Ananda G.
- Lazarus R.
- Mangan M.
- Nekrutenko A.
- Taylor J.
Quantitative real-time PCR
Immunofluorescent staining of corneal cryosections
- Controlling long-range genomic interactions at a native locus by targeted tethering of a looping factor.Cell. 2012; 149: 1233-1244
- Eukaryotic enhancers: common features, regulation, and participation in diseases.Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 2015; 72: 2361-2375
- Distinct and predictive chromatin signatures of transcriptional promoters and enhancers in the human genome.Nat. Genet. 2007; 39: 311-318
- A unique chromatin signature uncovers early developmental enhancers in humans.Nature. 2011; 470: 279-283
- Master transcription factors and mediator establish super-enhancers at key cell identity genes.Cell. 2013; 153: 307-319
- Pioneer factors govern super-enhancer dynamics in stem cell plasticity and lineage choice.Nature. 2015; 521: 366-370
- The selection and function of cell type-specific enhancers.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2015; 16: 144-154
- Super-enhancers in the control of cell identity and disease.Cell. 2013; 155: 934-947
- NF-κB directs dynamic super enhancer formation in inflammation and atherogenesis.Mol. Cell. 2014; 56: 219-231
- Dynamic transcriptional and epigenetic regulation of human epidermal keratinocyte differentiation.Stem Cell Rep. 2016; 6: 618-632
- Browning of human adipocytes requires KLF11 and reprogramming of PPARγ superenhancers.Genes Dev. 2015; 29: 7-22
- Corneal development associated with eyelid opening.Int. J. Dev. Biol. 2004; 48: 903-911
- Limbal stem cells: central concepts of corneal epithelial homeostasis.World J. Stem Cells. 2014; 6: 391-403
- Overview of the cornea: structure, function, and development.Prog. Mol. Biol. Transl. Sci. 2015; 134: 7-23
- Corneal abnormalities in Pax6+/− small eye mice mimic human aniridia-related keratopathy.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2003; 44: 1871-1878
- WNT7A and PAX6 define corneal epithelium homeostasis and pathogenesis.Nature. 2014; 511: 358-361
- Aniridia-associated translocations, DNase hypersensitivity, sequence comparison and transgenic analysis redefine the functional domain of PAX6.Hum. Mol. Genet. 2001; 10: 2049-2059
- The Ets transcription factor EHF as a regulator of cornea epithelial cell identity.J. Biol. Chem. 2013; 288: 34304-34324
- The diverse functions of Kruppel-like factors 4 and 5 in epithelial biology and pathobiology.BioEssays. 2007; 29: 549-557
- Klf4 regulates the expression of Slurp1, which functions as an immunomodulatory peptide in the mouse cornea.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2012; 53: 8433-8446
- Conditional deletion of the mouse Klf4 gene results in corneal epithelial fragility, stromal edema, and loss of conjunctival goblet cells.Mol. Cell. Biol. 2007; 27: 182-194
- An integrated encyclopedia of DNA elements in the human genome.Nature. 2012; 489: 57-74
- Critical role of Klf5 in regulating gene expression during post-eyelid opening maturation of mouse corneas.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e44771
- Transcription factor binding predictions using TRAP for the analysis of ChIP-seq data and regulatory SNPs.Nat. Protoc. 2011; 6: 1860-1869
- Identification of candidate Klf4 target genes reveals the molecular basis of the diverse regulatory roles of Klf4 in the mouse cornea.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2008; 49: 3360-3370
- Genome-wide association study of Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in Europe.Orphanet J. Rare Dis. 2011; 6: 52
- Genome-wide meta-analysis of five Asian cohorts identifies PDGFRA as a susceptibility locus for corneal astigmatism.PLoS Genet. 2011; 7: e1002402
- Genome-wide association study of the modified Stumvoll insulin sensitivity index identifies BCL2 and FAM19A2 as novel insulin sensitivity loci.Diabetes. 2016; 65: 3200-3211
- A genome-wide approach accounting for body mass index identifies genetic variants influencing fasting glycemic traits and insulin resistance.Nat. Genet. 2012; 44: 659-669
- Extensive promoter-centered chromatin interactions provide a topological basis for transcription regulation.Cell. 2012; 148: 84-98
- Ets homologous factor (EHF) has critical roles in epithelial dysfunction in airway disease.J. Biol. Chem. 2017; 292: 10938-10949
- Proteins of the ETS family with transcriptional repressor activity.Oncogene. 2000; 19: 6524-6532
- The epithelium-specific ETS protein EHF/ESE-3 is a context-dependent transcriptional repressor downstream of MAPK signaling cascades.J. Biol. Chem. 2001; 276: 20397-20406
- Ets transcription factors: nuclear effectors of the Ras-MAP-kinase signaling pathway.Trends Biochem. Sci. 1998; 23: 213-216
- Signal transduction and the Ets family of transcription factors.Oncogene. 2000; 19: 6503-6513
- The combination of IGF1 and FGF2 and the induction of excessive ocular growth and extreme myopia.Exp. Eye Res. 2012; 99: 1-16
- Transforming growth factor β and insulin signal changes in stromal fibroblasts of individual keratoconus patients.PLoS ONE. 2014; 9: e106556
- Contribution of the ocular surface to visual optics.Exp. Eye Res. 2004; 78: 417-425
- Transcription factor KLF7 is important for neuronal morphogenesis in selected regions of the nervous system.Mol. Cell. Biol. 2005; 25: 5699-5711
- Klf7 modulates the differentiation and proliferation of chicken preadipocyte.Acta Biochim. Biophys. Sin. 2013; 45: 280-288
- Role of Kruppel-like transcription factors in adipogenesis.Dev. Biol. 2013; 373: 235-243
- GRHL3 binding and enhancers rearrange as epidermal keratinocytes transition between functional states.PLoS Genet. 2017; 13: e1006745
- A reconstituted telomerase-immortalized human corneal epithelium in vivo: a pilot study.Curr. Eye Res. 2011; 36: 706-712
- The epidermal differentiation-associated Grainyhead gene Get1/Grhl3 also regulates urothelial differentiation.EMBO J. 2009; 28: 1890-1903
- Cofactors of LIM domains associate with estrogen receptor α to regulate the expression of noncoding RNA H19 and corneal epithelial progenitor cell function.J. Biol. Chem. 2016; 291: 13271-13285
- ChIP-seq: using high-throughput sequencing to discover protein-DNA interactions.Methods. 2009; 48: 240-248
- Ultrafast and memory-efficient alignment of short DNA sequences to the human genome.Genome Biol. 2009; 10: R25
- Spatial clustering for identification of ChIP-enriched regions (SICER) to map regions of histone methylation patterns in embryonic stem cells.Methods Mol. Biol. 2014; 1150: 97-111
- Galaxy: a web-based genome analysis tool for experimentalists.Curr. Protoc. Mol. Biol. 2010; (Chapter 19, Unit 19.10.11–21)
- Galaxy: a platform for interactive large-scale genome analysis.Genome Res. 2005; 15: 1451-1455
- Galaxy: a comprehensive approach for supporting accessible, reproducible, and transparent computational research in the life sciences.Genome Biol. 2010; 11: R86
- Selective inhibition of tumor oncogenes by disruption of super-enhancers.Cell. 2013; 153: 320-334
- GRHL3/GET1 and trithorax group members collaborate to activate the epidermal progenitor differentiation program.PLoS Genet. 2012; 8: e1002829
- The Grainyhead-like epithelial transactivator Get-1/Grhl3 regulates epidermal terminal differentiation and interacts functionally with LMO4.Dev. Biol. 2006; 299: 122-136
- Systematic and integrative analysis of large gene lists using DAVID bioinformatics resources.Nat. Protoc. 2009; 4: 44-57
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health Grants R01EY019413 and R01AR44882 (to B. A.), National Library of Medicine Grant T15LM00744 (to R. H. K.), and NCI, National Institutes of Health Grant 5T32CA09054–38 (to Z. L.). The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest with the contents of this article. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
This article contains supplemental Table S1.
The data generated in this study were deposited into GEO with accession numbers GSE43499, GSE94468, GSE94469, GSE94470, and GSE94472.
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy