Design of a fluorescent protein-tagged GSDMD
mNeon-GSDMD activity in HEK-293T cells
Probing the p30-p20 interface with mNeon-GSDMD
Visualizing GSDMD activity during pyroptosis in reconstituted iBMDM cells
Cells, plasmids, reagents, antibodies, and Western blotting
Propidium iodide, cytotoxicity, and IL-1β release assays
Alignment and structural modeling of mNeon-GSDMD
- Adams P.D.
- Afonine P.V.
- Bunkóczi G.
- Chen V.B.
- Davis I.W.
- Echols N.
- Headd J.J.
- Hung L.W.
- Kapral G.J.
- Grosse-Kunstleve R.W.
- McCoy A.J.
- Moriarty N.W.
- Oeffner R.
- Read R.J.
- Richardson D.C.
- et al.
Cell imaging and analysis
Confocal live-cell imaging
Fig. 3 images
Fig. 4 images
- Programmed cell death as a defence against infection.Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2017; 17: 151-164
- Pyroptosis: host cell death and inflammation.Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 2009; 7: 99-109
- The inflammasome: a molecular platform triggering activation of inflammatory caspases and processing of proIL-β.Mol. Cell. 2002; 10: 417-426
- The neutrophil NLRC4 inflammasome selectively promotes IL-1β maturation without pyroptosis during acute Salmonella challenge.Cell Rep. 2014; 8: 570-582
- Non-canonical inflammasome activation targets caspase-11.Nature. 2011; 479: 117-121
- Inflammatory caspases are innate immune receptors for intracellular LPS.Nature. 2014; 514: 187-192
- Caspase-4 mediates non-canonical activation of the NLRP3 inflammasome in human myeloid cells.Eur. J. Immunol. 2015; 45: 2911-2917
- Human caspase-4 and caspase-5 regulate the one-step non-canonical inflammasome activation in monocytes.Nat. Commun. 2015; 6: 8761
- Cleavage of GSDMD by inflammatory caspases determines pyroptotic cell death.Nature. 2015; 526: 660-665
- Caspase-11 cleaves gasdermin D for non-canonical inflammasome signalling.Nature. 2015; 526: 666-671
- Gasdermin D is an executor of pyroptosis and required for interleukin-1β secretion.Cell Res. 2015; 25: 1285-1298
- GsdmD p30 elicited by caspase-11 during pyroptosis forms pores in membranes.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2016; 113: 7858-7863
- GSDMD pore formation in the plasma membrane constitutes the mechanism of pyroptotic cell death.EMBO J. 2016; 35: 1766-1778
- Pore-forming activity and structural autoinhibition of the gasdermin family.Nature. 2016; 535: 111-116
- Inflammasome-activated gasdermin D causes pyroptosis by forming membrane pores.Nature. 2016; 535: 153-158
- Active caspase-1 induces plasma membrane pores that precede pyroptotic lysis and are blocked by lanthanides.J. Immunol. 2016; 197: 1353-1367
- Recent insights into the molecular mechanisms underlying pyroptosis and gasdermin family functions.Trends Immunol. 2017; 38: 261-271
- Nucleotide-binding oligomerization domain (NOD) signaling defects and cell death susceptibility cannot be uncoupled in X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis (XIAP)-driven inflammatory disease.J. Biol. Chem. 2017; 292: 9666-9679
- A bright monomeric green fluorescent protein derived from Branchiostoma lanceolatum.Nat. Methods. 2013; 10: 407-409
- Improving FRET dynamic range with bright green and red fluorescent proteins.Nat. Methods. 2012; 9: 1005-1012
- Pyroptosis is driven by non-selective gasdermin-D pore and its morphology is different from MLKL channel-mediated necroptosis.Cell Res. 2016; 26: 1007-1020
- Sepsis: current dogma and new perspectives.Immunity. 2014; 40: 463-475
- The Nlrp3 inflammasome: contributions to intestinal homeostasis.Trends Immunol. 2011; 32: 171-179
- Colitis induced in mice with dextran sulfate sodium (DSS) is mediated by the NLRP3 inflammasome.Gut. 2010; 59: 1192-1199
- Cell death by pyroptosis drives CD4 T-cell depletion in HIV-1 infection.Nature. 2014; 505: 509-514
- Caspase-11 regulates cell migration by promoting Aip1-Cofilin-mediated actin depolymerization.Nat. Cell Biol. 2007; 9: 276-286
- Synthetic biology reveals the uniqueness of the RIP kinase domain.J. Immunol. 2016; 196: 4291-4297
- Deciphering key features in protein structures with the new ENDscript server.Nucleic Acids Res. 2014; 42: W320-W324
- Multiple mapping method: A novel approach to the sequence-to-structure alignment problem in comparative protein structure modeling.Proteins. 2006; 63: 644-661
- PHENIX: a comprehensive Python-based system for macromolecular structure solution.Acta Crystallogr. D Biol. Crystallogr. 2010; 66: 213-221
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health Grant T32 GM007250 (to J. K. R., B. L. B., and S. M. C.); Grants TL1 RR024991, T32NS077888, and F31 NS096857 (to B. L. B.); and Grants PO1091222 and RO1086550 (to D. W. A). This work was also supported by the Theresia G. & Stuart F. Kline Family Foundation and the Errol's Cancer Discovery Fund (to A. Y. H.). The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest with the contents of this article. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
This article contains supplemental Figs. S1–S3 and Movie S1.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy