PKC Activation Prevents Degradation of Primary Human Neurons
Prolonged PKCϵ Activation Prevents Loss of Synaptic Proteins
Bryostatin 1 and DCPLA-ME Specifically Activate PKCϵ
PKCϵ Activation Induces Membrane Translocation of Phosphorylated PSD-95 (Serine 295)
PKCϵ-mediated Phosphorylation of PSD-95 at Serine 295 Is Essential for Its Membrane Association
PKCϵ-mediated Membrane Localization of p-PSD-95S295 Involves JNKI and CaMKII
PKCϵ Activation Induces Synaptogenesis in Adult Hippocampal Slices
PKCϵ Knockdown Reduces the Expression of PSD-95 and Synaptophysin
Knockdown of PKCϵ Reduces Synaptogenesis
- Yang H.
- Courtney M.J.
- Martinsson P.
- Manahan-Vaughan D.
- et al.
- Mischak H.
- Goodnight J.A.
- Kolch W.
- Martiny-Baron G.
- Schaechtle C.
- Kazanietz M.G.
- Blumberg P.M.
- Pierce J.H.
- Mushinski J.F.
- et al.
Organotypic Slice Culture
Cell Lysis and Western Blotting Analysis
Knockdown and Overexpression
Immunofluorescence and Confocal Microscopy
- Protein kinase Cϵ (PKCϵ): its unique structure and function.J. Biochem. 2002; 132: 847-852
- The role of protein kinase Cϵ in neural signal transduction and neurogenic diseases.Front. Med. 2011; 5: 70-76
- PKCϵ, via its regulatory domain and independently of its catalytic domain, induces neurite-like processes in neuroblastoma cells.J. Cell Biol. 1999; 145: 713-726
- Protein kinase Cϵ is implicated in neurite outgrowth in differentiating human neuroblastoma cells.Cell Growth Differ. 1996; 7: 775-785
- Molecular analysis of the interactions between protein kinase Cϵ and filamentous actin.J. Biol. Chem. 1998; 273: 26790-26798
- Identification and localization of an actin-binding motif that is unique to the ϵ isoform of protein kinase C and participates in the regulation of synaptic function.J. Cell Biol. 1996; 132: 77-90
- Classical conditioning induces long-term translocation of protein kinase C in rabbit hippocampal CA1 cells.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1988; 85: 1988-1992
- Imaging of memory-specific changes in the distribution of protein kinase C in the hippocampus.Science. 1989; 245: 866-869
- A structural basis for enhancement of long-term associative memory in single dendritic spines regulated by PKC.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2007; 104: 19571-19576
- PKCϵ activation prevents synaptic loss, Aβ elevation, and cognitive deficits in Alzheimer's disease transgenic mice.J. Neurosci. 2011; 31: 630-643
- A spatial-temporal model of cell activation.Science. 1988; 239: 998-1005
- Isolation of a G protein that is modified by learning and reduces potassium currents in Hermissenda.Science. 1990; 247: 1479-1483
- Apolipoprotein E3 (apoE3) but not apoE4 protects against synaptic loss through increased expression of protein kinase Cϵ.J. Biol. Chem. 2012; 287: 15947-15958
- PKC signaling mediates global enhancement of excitatory synaptogenesis in neurons triggered by local contact with astrocytes.Neuron. 2004; 41: 405-415
- PKCϵ deficits in Alzheimer's disease brains and skin fibroblasts.J. Alzheimers Dis. 2015; 43: 491-509
- Regulation of AMPA receptor extrasynaptic insertion by 4.1N, phosphorylation and palmitoylation.Nat. Neurosci. 2009; 12: 879-887
- PKC anchoring to GluR4 AMPA receptor subunit modulates PKC-driven receptor phosphorylation and surface expression.Traffic. 2007; 8: 259-269
- Protein synthesis required for long-term memory is induced by PKC activation on days before associative learning.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2005; 102: 16432-16437
- Protein kinase C stimulates HuD-mediated mRNA stability and protein expression of neurotrophic factors and enhances dendritic maturation of hippocampal neurons in culture.Hippocampus. 2012; 22: 2303-2319
- ApoE4 and Aβ oligomers reduce BDNF expression via HDAC nuclear translocation.J. Neurosci. 2015; 35: 7538-7551
- Rapid synaptic remodeling by protein kinase C: reciprocal translocation of NMDA receptors and calcium/calmodulin-dependent kinase II.J. Neurosci. 2002; 22: 2153-2164
- Activity-dependent regulation of synaptic strength by PSD-95 in CA1 neurons.J. Neurophysiol. 2012; 107: 1058-1066
- Protein kinase C promotes N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor trafficking by indirectly triggering calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II (CaMKII) autophosphorylation.J. Biol. Chem. 2011; 286: 25187-25200
- Molecular regulation of synaptogenesis during associative learning and memory.Brain Res. 2015; 1621: 239-251
- Towards universal therapeutics for memory disorders.Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 2015; 36: 384-394
- Some assembly required: the development of neuronal synapses.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2003; 4: 833-841
- The postsynaptic architecture of excitatory synapses: a more quantitative view.Annu. Rev. Biochem. 2007; 76: 823-847
- Membrane-associated guanylate kinases regulate adhesion and plasticity at cell junctions.Annu. Rev. Biochem. 2005; 74: 219-245
- The interaction between Stargazin and PSD-95 regulates AMPA receptor surface trafficking.Neuron. 2007; 53: 719-734
- PSD-95 is required for activity-driven synapse stabilization.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2007; 104: 4176-4181
- PSD-95 involvement in maturation of excitatory synapses.Science. 2000; 290: 1364-1368
- Activity-dependent PSD formation and stabilization of newly formed spines in hippocampal slice cultures.Cereb. Cortex. 2008; 18: 151-161
- Synaptic accumulation of PSD-95 and synaptic function regulated by phosphorylation of serine 295 of PSD-95.Neuron. 2007; 56: 488-502
- The linoleic acid derivative DCP-LA selectively activates PKCϵ, possibly binding to the phosphatidylserine binding site.J. Lipid Res. 2006; 47: 1146-1156
- Poststroke neuronal rescue and synaptogenesis mediated in vivo by protein kinase C in adult brains.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2008; 105: 13620-13625
- Neuroprotective versus tumorigenic protein kinase C activators.Trends Biochem. Sci. 2009; 34: 136-145
- Structural basis of protein kinase C isoform function.Physiol. Rev. 2008; 88: 1341-1378
- PKCϵ is involved in JNK activation that mediates LPS-induced TNFα, which induces apoptosis in macrophages.Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 2003; 285: C1235-C1245
- Cooperation between PKCα and PKCϵ in the regulation of JNK activation in human lung cancer cells.Cell. Signal. 2004; 16: 457-467
- Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II inhibitors disrupt AKAP79-dependent PKC signaling to GluA1 AMPA receptors.J. Biol. Chem. 2011; 286: 6697-6706
- Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II is phosphorylated by protein kinase C in vitro.Biochemistry. 1993; 32: 2923-2930
- Locally-generated acetaldehyde is involved in ethanol-mediated LTP inhibition in the hippocampus.Neurosci. Lett. 2013; 537: 40-43
- Developmental control of synaptic receptivity.J. Neurosci. 2008; 28: 8150-8160
- Quantifying synapses: an immunocytochemistry-based assay to quantify synapse number.J. Vis. Exp. 2010; 45: 2270
- Bryostatin-1: a novel PKC inhibitor in clinical development.Cancer Invest. 2003; 21: 924-936
- Adduct formation in liquid chromatography-triple quadrupole mass spectrometric measurement of bryostatin 1.J. Chromatogr. B Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 2014; 944: 55-62
- PKC activation during training restores mushroom spine synapses and memory in the aged rat.Neurobiol. Dis. 2013; 55: 44-62
- Relative and absolute quantification of postsynaptic density proteome isolated from rat forebrain and cerebellum.Mol. Cell Proteomics. 2006; 5: 1158-1170
- PDZ domain proteins of synapses.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2004; 5: 771-781
- The influence of synaptic activity on neuronal health.Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 2011; 21: 299-305
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor in neuronal survival and behavior-related plasticity.Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 2007; 1122: 130-143
- Preconditioning doses of NMDA promote neuroprotection by enhancing neuronal excitability.J. Neurosci. 2006; 26: 4509-4518
- Translocation of protein kinase C activity may mediate hippocampal long-term potentiation.Science. 1986; 231: 587-589
- Hippocampal long-term depression is enhanced, depotentiation is inhibited and long-term potentiation is unaffected by the application of a selective c-Jun N-terminal kinase inhibitor to freely behaving rats.Eur. J. Neurosci. 2011; 33: 1647-1655
- Protein kinase D complexes with C-Jun N-terminal kinase via activation loop phosphorylation and phosphorylates the C-Jun N-terminus.Oncogene. 2002; 21: 2154-2160
- Wnt-5a/JNK signaling promotes the clustering of PSD-95 in hippocampal neurons.J. Biol. Chem. 2009; 284: 15857-15866
- Role of nociceptor αCaMKII in transition from acute to chronic pain (hyperalgesic priming) in male and female rats.J. Neurosci. 2013; 33: 11002-11011
- Postsynaptic density-95 mimics and occludes hippocampal long-term potentiation and enhances long-term depression.J. Neurosci. 2003; 23: 5503-5506
- Protein kinase C activators as synaptogenic and memory therapeutics.Arch. Pharm. (Weinheim). 2009; 342: 689-698
- Protein kinase Cϵ is necessary for erythropoietin's up-regulation of c-myc and for factor-dependent DNA synthesis: evidence for discrete signals for growth and differentiation.J. Biol. Chem. 1996; 271: 27025-27030
- Differential regulation of gene expression by protein kinase C isozymes as determined by genome-wide expression analysis.J. Biol. Chem. 2011; 286: 11254-11264
- Overexpression of protein kinase Cδ and -ϵ in NIH 3T3 cells induces opposite effects on growth, morphology, anchorage dependence, and tumorigenicity.J. Biol. Chem. 1993; 268: 6090-6096
- A requirement for nuclear factor-κB in developmental and plasticity-associated synaptogenesis.J. Neurosci. 2011; 31: 5414-5425
- Brain derived neurotrophic factor induces a rapid upregulation of synaptophysin and tau proteins via the neurotrophin receptor TrkB in rat cerebellar granule cells.Neurosci. Lett. 1997; 227: 177-180
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor protects cementoblasts from serum starvation-induced cell death.J. Cell Physiol. 2009; 221: 696-706
- Bryostatin-1 restores hippocampal synapses and spatial learning and memory in adult fragile x mice.J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 2014; 349: 393-401
- Increase of the RNA-binding protein HuD and posttranscriptional up-regulation of the GAP-43 gene during spatial memory.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2004; 101: 1217-1222
- BDNF induces transport of PSD-95 to dendrites through PI3K-AKT signaling after NMDA receptor activation.Nat. Neurosci. 2007; 10: 702-711
- The BDNF effects on dendritic spines of mature hippocampal neurons depend on neuronal activity.Front. Synaptic Neurosci. 2014; 6: 5
- Reduction of β-amyloid levels by novel protein kinase Cϵ activators.J. Biol. Chem. 2009; 284: 34514-34521
- A simple method for organotypic cultures of nervous tissue.J. Neurosci. Methods. 1991; 37: 173-182
- Organotypic hippocampal slice culture from the adult mouse brain: a versatile tool for translational neuropsychopharmacology.Prog. Neuropsychopharmacol. Biol. Psychiatry. 2013; 41: 36-43
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy