- Sotiriou S.K.
- Kamileri I.
- Lugli N.
- Evangelou K.
- Da-Ré C.
- Huber F.
- Padayachy L.
- Tardy S.
- Nicati N.L.
- Barriot S.
- Ochs F.
- Lukas C.
- Lukas J.
- Gorgoulis V.G.
- Scapozza L.
- Halazonetis T.D.
- Cramer-Morales K.
- Nieborowska-Skorska M.
- Scheibner K.
- Padget M.
- Irvine D.A.
- Sliwinski T.
- Haas K.
- Lee J.
- Geng H.
- Roy D.
- Slupianek A.
- Rassool F.V.
- Wasik M.A.
- Childers W.
- Copland M.
- Müschen M.
- Civin C.I.
- Skorski T.
RAD52 binding to ssDNA curtains
RAD52 binds as discrete complexes
RAD52 binds tightly to RPA-ssDNA
RPA turnover in the presence of RAD52
RAD52 during presynaptic complex assembly
Binding of RAD52 on the presynaptic filament
Disassembly of the presynaptic filament
Protein expression and purification
Single-strand DNA annealing assays
Single-stranded DNA curtains
TIRF microscopy and data analysis
Presynaptic complex assembly
RAD52 and RPA binding to the presynaptic complex
- Recombination at double-strand breaks and DNA ends: conserved mechanisms from phage to humans.Mol. Cell. 2001; 8: 1163-1174
- Mechanisms and regulation of mitotic recombination in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.Genetics. 2014; 198: 795-835
- Mechanism of eukaryotic homologous recombination.Annu. Rev. Biochem. 2008; 77: 229-257
- Multiple pathways of recombination induced by double-strand breaks in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 1999; 63: 349-404
- Repair of strand breaks by homologous recombination.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect Biol. 2013; 5: a012740
- Regulation of recombination and genomic maintenance.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect Biol. 2015; 7: a016501
- Regulation of homologous recombination in eukaryotes.Annu. Rev. Genet. 2010; 44: 113-139
- Sources of DNA double-strand breaks and models of recombinational DNA repair.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2014; 6: a016428
- The importance of repairing stalled replication forks.Nature. 2000; 404: 37-41
- Replication stress-induced genome instability: the dark side of replication maintenance by homologous recombination.J. Mol. Biol. 2013; 425: 4733-4744
- DNA strand exchange and RecA homologs in meiosis.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2014; 7: a016659
- Meiotic recombination: the essence of heredity.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2015; 7: a016618
- Mechanism and regulation of meiotic recombination initiation.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2014; 7: a016634
- Break-induced replication: what is it and what is it for?.Cell Cycle. 2008; 7: 859-864
- Break-induced DNA replication.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2013; 5: a010397
- Break-induced replication: functions and molecular mechanism.Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 2013; 23: 271-279
- Causes of genome instability.Annu. Rev. Genet. 2013; 47: 1-32
- Homologous recombination and human health: the roles of BRCA1, BRCA2, and associated proteins.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2015; 7: a016600
- When genome maintenance goes badly awry.Mol. Cell. 2016; 62: 777-787
- DNA strand exchange proteins: a biochemical and physical comparison.Front. Biosci. 1998; 3: D570-D603
- An overview of the molecular mechanisms of recombinational DNA repair.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2015; 7: a016410
- DNA-pairing and annealing processes in homologous recombination and homology-directed repair.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2015; 7: a016444
- DNA end resection: nucleases team up with the right partners to initiate homologous recombination.J. Biol. Chem. 2015; 290: 22931-22938
- Biochemical mechanism of DSB end resection and its regulation.DNA Repair. 2015; 32: 66-74
- End resection at double-strand breaks: mechanism and regulation.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2014; 6: a016436
- Replication protein A: single-stranded DNA's first responder: dynamic DNA-interactions allow replication protein A to direct single-strand DNA intermediates into different pathways for synthesis or repair.BioEssays. 2014; 36: 1156-1161
- Replication protein A: a heterotrimeric, single-stranded DNA-binding protein required for eukaryotic DNA metabolism.Annu. Rev. Biochem. 1997; 66: 61-92
- Mechanism of homologous recombination: mediators and helicases take on regulatory functions.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2006; 7: 739-750
- Identification of a mouse homologue of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae recombination and repair gene, RAD52.Genomics. 1994; 23: 300-303
- Cloning of human and mouse genes homologous to RAD52, a yeast gene involved in DNA repair and recombination.Mutat. Res. 1994; 315: 295-305
- Rad52 forms ring structures and co-operates with RPA in single-strand DNA annealing.Genes Cells. 1998; 3: 145-156
- Rad52 protein stimulates DNA strand exchange by Rad51 and replication protein A.Nature. 1998; 391: 407-410
- Function of yeast Rad52 protein as a mediator between replication protein A and the Rad51 recombinase.J. Biol. Chem. 1997; 272: 28194-28197
- Human Rad52 facilitates a three-stranded pairing that follows no strand exchange: a novel pairing function of the protein.Biochemistry. 2003; 42: 15237-15251
- Rad52-mediated DNA annealing after Rad51-mediated DNA strand exchange promotes second ssDNA capture.EMBO J. 2006; 25: 5539-5548
- DNA strand annealing is promoted by the yeast Rad52 protein.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1996; 93: 10729-10734
- DNA annealing by RAD52 protein is stimulated by specific interaction with the complex of replication protein A and single-stranded DNA.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1998; 95: 6049-6054
- Rad52 promotes postinvasion steps of meiotic double-strand-break repair.Mol. Cell. 2008; 29: 517-524
- DNA repair synthesis facilitates RAD52-mediated second-end capture during DSB repair.Mol. Cell. 2008; 29: 510-516
- A genetic study of x-ray sensitive mutants in yeast.Mutat. Res. 1974; 24: 281-292
- Role of RAD52 epistasis group genes in homologous recombination and double-strand break repair.Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 2002; 66 (table of contents): 630-670
- Reappearance from obscurity: mammalian Rad52 in homologous recombination.Genes (Basel). 2016; 7: E63
- Who's who in human recombination: BRCA2 and RAD52.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011; 108: 441-442
- Structure of the single-strand annealing domain of human RAD52 protein.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2002; 99: 13492-13497
- Crystal structure of the homologous-pairing domain from the human Rad52 recombinase in the undecameric form.Mol. Cell. 2002; 10: 359-371
- The human Rad52 protein exists as a heptameric ring.Curr. Biol. 2000; 10: 337-340
- Visualisation of human rad52 protein and its complexes with hRad51 and DNA.J. Mol. Biol. 1998; 284: 1027-1038
- Human Rad52 protein promotes single-strand DNA annealing followed by branch migration.Mutat. Res. 1997; 377: 53-59
- Human Rad52-mediated homology search and annealing occurs by continuous interactions between overlapping nucleoprotein complexes.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2008; 105: 20274-20279
- Human Rad52 binds and wraps single-stranded DNA and mediates annealing via two hRad52-ssDNA complexes.Nucleic Acids Res. 2010; 38: 2917-2930
- Human RAD52 captures and holds DNA strands, increases DNA flexibility, and prevents melting of duplex DNA: implications for DNA recombination.Cell Reports. 2017; 18: 2845-2853
- Targeted inactivation of mouse RAD52 reduces homologous recombination but not resistance to ionizing radiation.Mol. Cell. Biol. 1998; 18: 6423-6429
- Homologous recombination, but not DNA repair, is reduced in vertebrate cells deficient in RAD52.Mol. Cell. Biol. 1998; 18: 6430-6435
- Rad52 inactivation is synthetically lethal with BRCA2 deficiency.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011; 108: 686-691
- Rad51 paralog complexes BCDX2 and CX3 act at different stages in the BRCA1-BRCA2-dependent homologous recombination pathway.Mol. Cell. Biol. 2013; 33: 387-395
- RAD52 inactivation is synthetically lethal with deficiencies in BRCA1 and PALB2 in addition to BRCA2 through RAD51-mediated homologous recombination.Oncogene. 2013; 32: 3552-3558
- Stressing out about RAD52.Mol. Cell. 2016; 64: 1017-1019
- RAD52 facilitates mitotic DNA synthesis following replication stress.Mol. Cell. 2016; 64: 1117-1126
- Mammalian RAD52 functions in break-induced replication repair of collapsed DNA replication forks.Mol. Cell. 2016; 64: 1127-1134
- Molecular pathways: understanding the role of Rad52 in homologous recombination for therapeutic advancement.Clin. Cancer Res. 2012; 18: 6400-6406
- Targeting BRCA1- and BRCA2-deficient cells with RAD52 small molecule inhibitors.Nucleic Acids Res. 2016; 44: 4189-4199
- Small-molecule disruption of RAD52 rings as a mechanism for precision medicine in BRCA-deficient cancers.Chem. Biol. 2015; 22: 1491-1504
- Identification of a small molecule inhibitor of RAD52 by structure-based selection.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0147230
- Personalized synthetic lethality induced by targeting RAD52 in leukemias identified by gene mutation and expression profile.Blood. 2013; 122: 1293-1304
- Protein dynamics during presynaptic-complex assembly on individual single-stranded DNA molecules.Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2014; 21: 893-900
- Rad52 forms DNA repair and recombination centers during S phase.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2001; 98: 8276-8282
- Localization and dynamic relocalization of mammalian Rad52 during the cell cycle and in response to DNA damage.Curr. Biol. 1999; 9: 975-978
- Coordinated response of mammalian Rad51 and Rad52 to DNA damage.EMBO Reports. 2000; 1: 85-90
- Nuclear dynamics of RAD52 group homologous recombination proteins in response to DNA damage.EMBO J. 2002; 21: 2030-2037
- Single-stranded DNA curtains for real-time single-molecule visualization of protein-nucleic acid interactions.Anal. Chem. 2012; 84: 7607-7612
- Concentration-dependent exchange of replication protein A on single-stranded DNA revealed by single-molecule imaging.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e87922
- Protein dynamics of human RPA and RAD51 on ssDNA during assembly and disassembly of the RAD51 filament.Nucleic Acids Res. 2017; 45: 749-761
- Single-stranded DNA curtains for studying homologous recombination.Methods Enzymol. 2017; 582: 193-219
- Concentration-dependent exchange accelerates turnover of proteins bound to double-stranded DNA.Nucleic Acids Res. 2011; 39: 2249-2259
- Ca2+ activates human homologous recombination protein Rad51 by modulating its ATPase activity.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2004; 101: 9988-9993
- Human Rad54 protein stimulates DNA strand exchange activity of hRad51 protein in the presence of Ca2+.J. Biol. Chem. 2004; 279: 52042-52051
- Minimal, encapsulated proteomic-sample processing applied to copy-number estimation in eukaryotic cells.Nat. Methods. 2014; 11: 319-324
- Global analysis of protein expression in yeast.Nature. 2003; 425: 737-741
- Cell biology of mitotic recombination.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2015; 7: a016535
- Regulation of ionizing radiation-induced Rad52 nuclear foci formation by c-Abl-mediated phosphorylation.J. Biol. Chem. 2002; 277: 48944-48948
- Tyrosine phosphorylation enhances RAD52-mediated annealing by modulating its DNA binding.EMBO J. 2011; 30: 3368-3382
- Control of Rad52 recombination activity by double-strand break-induced SUMO modification.Nat. Cell Biol. 2006; 8: 1284-1290
- Rad52 sumoylation and its involvement in the efficient induction of homologous recombination.DNA Repair. 2008; 7: 879-889
- Role of Cdc48/p97 as a SUMO-targeted segregase curbing Rad51-Rad52 interaction.Nat. Cell Biol. 2013; 15: 526-532
- The Smc5-Smc6 complex and SUMO modification of Rad52 regulates recombinational repair at the ribosomal gene locus.Nat. Cell Biol. 2007; 9: 923-931
- Homologous recombination and its regulation.Nucleic Acids Res. 2012; 40: 5795-5818
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health Grants R35GM118026 (to E. C. G.) and R01ES007061 and P01CA92584 (to P. S.). The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest with the contents of this article. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy