Megakaryocyte Cultures and Exposure of MK Cells to Shear Flow
Immunofluorescence and Flow Cytometric Assays to Quantitate Protein Expression Levels
- Kodiha M.
- Umar R.
- Stochaj U.
- Ferrara D.E.
- Weiss D.
- Carnell P.H.
- Vito R.P.
- Vega D.
- Gao X.
- Nie S.
- Taylor W.R.
Microarray-based Gene Expression Analysis
MAPK Inhibitor Studies
PLP Particle Analysis
The Transcriptome Underlying the Response of Megakaryocytes to Shear Flow Displays Maturation Patterns at D9 and Platelet-biogenesis Markers at D12
- Meng R.
- Wang Y.
- Yao Y.
- Zhang Z.
- Harper D.C.
- Heijnen H.F.
- Sitaram A.
- Li W.
- Raposo G.
- Weiss M.J.
- Poncz M.
- Marks M.S.
AP-1 Transcripts and Proteins Are Up-regulated Following Shear Flow in Immature MKs (d9)
Shear Flow Leads to MAPK Phosphorylation That Results in Enhanced AP-1 Expression
Higher AP-1 Expression Imparts Increased MK DNA Synthesis and Polyploidization
MAPK Inhibition Decreases Flow-induced PLP Biogenesis and Fibrinogen Binding
- Historical review: megakaryopoiesis and thrombopoiesis.Blood. 2008; 111: 981-986
- Megakaryocytes and beyond: the birth of platelets.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2003; 1: 1174-1182
- Three-stage ex vivo expansion of high-ploidy megakaryocytic cells: toward large-scale platelet production.Tissue Eng. Part A. 2013; 19: 998-1014
- Oxygen tension influences the differentiation, maturation and apoptosis of human megakaryocytes.Br. J. Haematol. 2000; 111: 879-889
- Myosin-II inhibition and soft 2D matrix maximize multinucleation and cellular projections typical of platelet-producing megakaryocytes.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011; 108: 11458-11463
- Dynamic visualization of thrombopoiesis within bone marrow.Science. 2007; 317: 1767-1770
- Exposure of human megakaryocytes to high shear rates accelerates platelet production.Blood. 2009; 114: 1875-1883
- Shear enhances thrombopoiesis and formation of microparticles that induce megakaryocytic differentiation of stem cells.Blood. 2014; 124: 2094-2103
- Report of the United States Department of Health and Human Services: the 2011 national blood collection and utilization survey report.US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Washington, D.C2013
- Challenges and promises for the development of donor-independent platelet transfusions.Blood. 2013; 121: 3319-3324
- Laminar shear stress: mechanisms by which endothelial cells transduce an atheroprotective force.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 1998; 18: 677-685
- Endothelial differentiation of mesenchymal stromal cells: when traditional biology meets mechanotransduction.Integr. Biol. (Camb). 2013; 5: 291-299
- Mechanotransduction in endothelial cell migration.J. Cell. Biochem. 2005; 96: 1110-1126
- Shear-induced endothelial mechanotransduction: the interplay between reactive oxygen species (ROS) and nitric oxide (NO) and the pathophysiological implications.J. Biomed. Sci. 2014; 21: 3
- Role of endothelial shear stress in the natural history of coronary atherosclerosis and vascular remodeling: molecular, cellular, and vascular behavior.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2007; 49: 2379-2393
- Identification of a juxtamembrane mechanosensitive domain in the platelet mechanosensor glycoprotein Ib-IX complex.Blood. 2015; 125: 562-569
- Platelet biology: the role of shear.Expert Rev. Hematol. 2013; 6: 205-212
- The alphabeta T cell receptor is an anisotropic mechanosensor.J. Biol. Chem. 2009; 284: 31028-31037
- Mechanotransduction and the functional response of bone to mechanical strain.Calcif. Tissue Int. 1995; 57: 344-358
- A model for mechanotransduction in bone cells: the load-bearing mechanosomes.J. Cell. Biochem. 2003; 88: 104-112
- Mechanosensitivity in Cells and Tissues.Springer-Verlag, New York2011
- Shear stress modulation of smooth muscle cell marker genes in 2-D and 3-D depends on mechanotransduction by heparan sulfate proteoglycans and ERK1/2.PloS One. 2010; 5: e12196
- Fluid flow mechanotransduction in vascular smooth muscle cells and fibroblasts.Ann. Biomed. Eng. 2011; 39: 1608-1619
- Fluid shear promotes chondrosarcoma cell invasion by activating matrix metalloproteinase 12 via IGF-2 and VEGF signaling pathways.Oncogene. 2015; 34: 4558-4569
- Interleukin-1β and cyclic AMP mediate the invasion of sheared chondrosarcoma cells via a matrix metalloproteinase-1-dependent mechanism.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2014; 1843: 923-933
- Role of p38 MAP kinase in endothelial cell alignment induced by fluid shear stress.Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2001; 280: H189-H197
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase γ mediates shear stress-dependent activation of JNK in endothelial cells.Am. J. Physiol. 1998; 275: H1898-H1904
- Fluid shear stress activation of focal adhesion kinase linking to mitogen-activated protein kinases.J. Biol. Chem. 1997; 272: 30455-30462
- Regulation of discoidin domain receptor 2 by cyclic mechanical stretch in cultured rat vascular smooth muscle cells.Hypertension. 2005; 46: 614-621
- Mechanotransduction in musculoskeletal tissue regeneration: effects of fluid flow, loading, and cellular-molecular pathways.BioMed. Res. Int. 2014; 2014: 863421
- Myosin-II repression favors pre/proplatelets but shear activation generates platelets and fails in macrothrombocytopenia.Blood. 2015; 125: 525-533
- Microtubule sliding drives proplatelet elongation and is dependent on cytoplasmic dynein.Blood. 2015; 125: 860-868
- The mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathways: role in megakaryocyte differentiation.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2010; 8: 17-26
- Effect of transient and permanent permeability transition pore opening on NAD(P)H localization in intact cells.J. Biol. Chem. 2009; 284: 15117-15125
- DEAF1 is a Pellino1-interacting protein required for interferon production by Sendai virus and double-stranded RNA.J. Biol. Chem. 2013; 288: 24569-24580
- Diacylglycerol kinases terminate diacylglycerol signaling during the respiratory burst leading to heterogeneous phagosomal NADPH oxidase activation.J. Biol. Chem. 2013; 288: 23090-23104
- Optimized immunofluorescence staining protocol to detect the nucleoporin Nup98 in different subcellular compartments.Protoc. Exch. 2009;
- Transient oxidative stress and inflammation after intraperitoneal administration of multiwalled carbon nanotubes functionalized with single strand DNA in rats.Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 2012; 259: 281-292
- Confocal quantification of cis-regulatory reporter gene expression in living sea urchin.Dev. Biol. 2006; 299: 543-550
- Quantitative 3D fluorescence technique for the analysis of en face preparations of arterial walls using quantum dot nanocrystals and two-photon excitation laser scanning microscopy.Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 2006; 290: R114-R123
- An automated segmentation methodology for quantifying immunoreactive puncta number and fluorescence intensity in tissue sections.Brain Res. 2008; 1240: 62-72
- Accuracy and precision in quantitative fluorescence microscopy.J. Cell Biol. 2009; 185: 1135-1148
- A systems-biology analysis of isogenic megakaryocytic and granulocytic cultures identifies new molecular components of megakaryocytic apoptosis.BMC Genomics. 2007; 8 (384): 384
- Gene Ontology-driven transcriptional analysis of CD34+ cell-initiated megakaryocytic cultures identifies new transcriptional regulators of megakaryopoiesis.Physiol. Genomics. 2008; 33: 159-169
- Comparative, genome-scale transcriptional analysis of CHRF-288–11 and primary human megakaryocytic cell cultures provides novel insights into lineage-specific differentiation.Exp. Hematol. 2007; 35: 476-489
- Proposed megakaryocytic regulon of p53: the genes engaged to control cell cycle and apoptosis during megakaryocytic differentiation.Physiol. Genomics. 2012; 44: 638-650
- Role of tumor suppressor p53 in megakaryopoiesis and platelet function.Experimental hematology. 2012; 40: 131-142.e4
- A systems-biology analysis of isogenic megakaryocytic and granulocytic cultures identifies new molecular components of megakaryocytic apoptosis.BMC Genomics. 2007; 8: 384
- Differential effect of shear stress on extracellular signal-regulated kinase and N-terminal Jun kinase in endothelial cells.J. Biol. Chem. 1997; 272: 1395-1401
- A segmental nearest neighbor normalization and gene identification method gives superior results for DNA-array analysis.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2003; 100: 1122-1127
- TM4: a free, open-source system for microarray data management and analysis.BioTechniques. 2003; 34: 374-378
- Significance analysis of microarrays applied to the ionizing radiation response.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2001; 98: 5116-5121
- DAVID: database for annotation, visualization, and integrated discovery.Genome Biol. 2003; 4: P3
- SP600125, an anthrapyrazolone inhibitor of Jun N-terminal kinase.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2001; 98: 13681-13686
- SB 203580 is a specific inhibitor of a MAP kinase homologue which is stimulated by cellular stresses and interleukin-1.FEBS Lett. 1995; 364: 229-233
- The role of c-Jun N-terminal kinase, p38, and extracellular signal-regulated kinase in insulin-induced Thr69 and Thr71 phosphorylation of activating transcription factor 2.Mol. Endocrinol. 2006; 20: 1786-1795
- PEDF induces p53-mediated apoptosis through PPARγ signaling in human umbilical vein endothelial cells.Cardiovasc. Res. 2007; 76: 213-223
- Hepatic stellate cells produce vascular endothelial growth factor via phospho-p44/42 mitogen-activated protein kinase/cyclooxygenase-2 pathway.Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2012; 359: 217-223
- Osteoblasts extracellular matrix induces vessel like structures through glycosylated collagen I.Exp. Cell Res. 2010; 316: 789-799
- Platelets in lung biology.Annu. Rev. Physiol. 2013; 75: 569-591
- Integrated regulation of motor-driven organelle transport by scaffolding proteins.Trends Cell Biol. 2014; 24: 564-574
- Stem cell metabolism in tissue development and aging.Development. 2013; 140: 2535-2547
- The voyage of stem cell toward terminal differentiation: a brief overview.Acta Biochim. Biophys. Sin. 2012; 44: 463-475
- AP-1 subunits: quarrel and harmony among siblings.J. Cell Sci. 2004; 117: 5965-5973
- Transcription factor AP-1 regulation by mitogen-activated protein kinase signal transduction pathways.J. Mol. Med. 1996; 74: 589-607
- Development of platelet secretory granules.Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 2002; 13: 293-302
- SLC35D3 delivery from megakaryocyte early endosomes is required for platelet dense granule biogenesis and is differentially defective in Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome models.Blood. 2012; 120: 404-414
- Differential roles of microtubule assembly and sliding in proplatelet formation by megakaryocytes.Blood. 2005; 106: 4076-4085
- Compartmentalized megakaryocyte death generates functional platelets committed to caspase-independent death.J. Cell Biol. 2003; 160: 577-587
- AP-1: a double-edged sword in tumorigenesis.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2003; 3: 859-868
- Integrin-dependent activation of the JNK signaling pathway by mechanical stress.PloS One. 2011; 6: e26182
- The regulation of AP-1 activity by mitogen-activated protein kinases.J. Biol. Chem. 1995; 270: 16483-16486
- A mammalian scaffold complex that selectively mediates MAP kinase activation.Science. 1998; 281: 1671-1674
- Activation of p38 MAP kinase and JNK but not ERK is required for erythropoietin-induced erythroid differentiation.Blood. 1998; 92: 1859-1869
- ERK and p38 MAPK-activated protein kinases: a family of protein kinases with diverse biological functions.Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 2004; 68: 320-344
- Signal integration by JNK and p38 MAPK pathways in cancer development.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2009; 9: 537-549
- From hematopoietic stem cells to platelets.J. Thromb. Haemost. 2007; 5: 318-327
- AP-1 regulates α2β1 integrin expression by ERK-dependent signals during megakaryocytic differentiation of K562 cells.Exp. Cell Res. 2005; 304: 175-186
- Megakaryocyte endomitosis is a failure of late cytokinesis related to defects in the contractile ring and Rho/Roc.Blood. 2008; 112: 3164-3174
- MEKK1/JNK signaling stabilizes and activates p53.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1998; 95: 10541-10546
- A role for the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway in the transcriptional activation of p53 on genotoxic stress by chemotherapeutic agents.Cancer Res. 2000; 60: 2464-2472
- Altering the specificity of signal transduction cascades: positive regulation of c-Jun transcriptional activity by protein kinase A.EMBO J. 1994; 13: 6006-6010
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy