Abbreviations:DSB (double-strand break), FA (Fanconi anemia), FDA (Food and Drug Administration), FFPE (formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded), GATK (Genome Analysis ToolKit), HR (homologous recombination), HRD (HR deficiency), IHC (immunohistochemistry), OvCa (ovarian cancer), PARP (poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase), PARPi (poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor), WES (whole-exome sequencing)
- Kaye S.B.
- Lubinski J.
- Matulonis U.
- Ang J.E.
- Gourley C.
- Karlan B.Y.
- et al.
- Gralewska P.
- Gajek A.
- Marczak A.
- Mikuła M.
- Ostrowski J.
- Śliwińska A.
- et al.
WES identified frequent mutations of HR-related genes in OvCa tissues
- Gralewska P.
- Gajek A.
- Marczak A.
- Mikuła M.
- Ostrowski J.
- Śliwińska A.
- et al.
Pathogenicity prediction of RAD54B mutations
RAD54B-mutated tumors harbored more DNA DSBs
RAD54B knockdown inhibited HR repair in OVCAR8 cells
RAD54B knockdown enhanced sensitivity of OvCa cells to olaparib
RAD54B knockdown increased DSBs in OvCa cells after olaparib treatment
RAD54B knockdown increased olaparib-induced apoptosis in OvCa cells
RAD54B knockdown enhanced the inhibitory effects of olaparib on the growth of ES2 xenograft tumors
Expression of wildtype RAD54B rather than RAD54B mutants abolished the effects of RAD54B knockdown
Expression of RAD54B in RAD54B-mutated tumors
WES and variant confirmation
Cell culture and reagents
In vivo xenograft tumor model
Conflict of interest
Funding and additional information
- Table S1
- Table S2
- Table S3
- Table S4
- Table S5
- Table S6
- Supplementary Figure Legends
- Cancer statistics, 2021.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2021; 71: 7-33
- Ovarian cancer statistics, 2018.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2018; 68: 284-296
- The biology of ovarian cancer: new opportunities for translation.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2009; 9: 415-428
- N., Integrated genomic analyses of ovarian carcinoma.Nature. 2011; 474: 609-615
- Whole-genome characterization of chemoresistant ovarian cancer.Nature. 2015; 521: 489-494
- Inherited mutations in women with ovarian carcinoma.JAMA Oncol. 2016; 2: 482-490
- Targeting DNA repair and replication stress in the treatment of ovarian cancer.Int. J. Clin. Oncol. 2017; 22: 619-628
- Synthetic genetic targeting of genome instability in cancer.Cancers (Basel). 2013; 5: 739-761
- The diverse biological roles of mammalian PARPS, a small but powerful family of poly-ADP-ribose polymerases.Front. Biosci. 2008; 13: 3046-3082
- PARP inhibitors: synthetic lethality in the clinic.Science. 2017; 355: 1152-1158
- FDA approval summary: olaparib monotherapy in patients with deleterious germline BRCA-mutated advanced ovarian cancer treated with three or more lines of chemotherapy.Clin. Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 4257-4261
- PARP inhibitors in ovarian cancer: evidence, experience and clinical potential.Ther. Adv. Med. Oncol. 2017; 9: 253-267
- Targeted therapies for ovarian cancer.Best Pract. Res. Clin. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2017; 41: 139-152
- Inhibition of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in tumors from BRCA mutation carriers.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 361: 123-134
- Poly(ADP)-ribose polymerase inhibition: frequent durable responses in BRCA carrier ovarian cancer correlating with platinum-free interval.J. Clin. Oncol. 2010; 28: 2512-2519
- Oral poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor olaparib in patients with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations and recurrent ovarian cancer: a proof-of-concept trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 245-251
- Olaparib in patients with recurrent high-grade serous or poorly differentiated ovarian carcinoma or triple-negative breast cancer: a phase 2, multicentre, open-label, non-randomised study.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 852-861
- Phase II, open-label, randomized, multicenter study comparing the efficacy and safety of olaparib, a poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor, and pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in patients with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations and recurrent ovarian cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2012; 30: 372-379
- Long-term Responders on olaparib maintenance in high-grade serous ovarian cancer: clinical and molecular characterization.Clin. Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 4086-4094
- Hallmarks of 'BRCAness' in sporadic cancers.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2004; 4: 814-819
- "BRCAness" syndrome in ovarian cancer: a case-control study describing the clinical features and outcome of patients with epithelial ovarian cancer associated with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations.J. Clin. Oncol. 2008; 26: 5530-5536
- MiR-96 downregulates REV1 and RAD51 to promote cellular sensitivity to cisplatin and PARP inhibition.Cancer Res. 2012; 72: 4037-4046
- PARP inhibition increases the reliance on ATR/CHK1 checkpoint signaling Leading to synthetic lethality-an alternative treatment Strategy for epithelial ovarian cancer cells Independent from HR effectiveness.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2020; 21: 9715
- ATM-depletion in breast cancer cells confers sensitivity to PARP inhibition.J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res. 2013; 32: 95
- Androgen receptor inhibitor-induced "BRCAness" and PARP inhibition are synthetically lethal for castration-resistant prostate cancer.Sci. Signal. 2017; 10eaam7479
- Heterozygous mutations in PALB2 cause DNA replication and damage response defects.Nat. Commun. 2013; 4: 2578
- Dramatic response to PARP inhibition in a PALB2-mutated breast cancer: Moving beyond BRCA.Ann. Oncol. 2020; 31: 822-823
- Tracing the network connecting BRCA and Fanconi anaemia proteins.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2004; 4: 266-276
- Chromosome instability in fanconi anemia: from breaks to phenotypic consequences.Genes. 2020; 11: 1528
- The synthetic lethal killing of RAD54B-deficient colorectal cancer cells by PARP1 inhibition is enhanced with SOD1 inhibition.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 87417-87430
- Mutations of a novel human RAD54 homologue, RAD54B, in primary cancer.Oncogene. 1999; 18: 3422-3426
- Biochemical analysis of the N-terminal domain of human RAD54B.Nucl. Acids Res. 2008; 36: 5441-5450
- Human meiotic recombinase Dmc1 promotes ATP-dependent homologous DNA strand exchange.Nature. 2004; 429: 433-437
- Stimulation of Dmc1-mediated DNA strand exchange by the human Rad54B protein.Nucl. Acids Res. 2006; 34: 4429-4437
- The enigmatic oncogene and tumor suppressor-like properties of RAD54B: insights into genome instability and cancer.Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2017; 56: 513-523
- A novel human rad54 homologue, Rad54B, associates with Rad51.J. Biol. Chem. 2000; 275: 26316-26321
- A role for RAD54B in homologous recombination in human cells.EMBO J. 2002; 21: 175-180
- Amplification of RAD54B promotes progression of hepatocellular carcinoma via activating the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling.Transl Oncol. 2021; 14: 101124
- Comprehensive CRISPR-Cas9 screens identify genetic determinants of drug responsiveness in multiple myeloma.Blood Adv. 2021; 5: 2391-2402
- Targeting the DNA repair defect in BRCA mutant cells as a therapeutic strategy.Nature. 2005; 434: 917-921
- Frontline PARP inhibitor maintenance therapy in ovarian cancer: a Society of gynecologic Oncology practice statement.Gynecol. Oncol. 2020; 159: 8-12
- Chemosensitization to cisplatin by inhibitors of the Fanconi anemia/BRCA pathway.Mol. Cancer Ther. 2006; 5: 952-961
- Molecular pathogenesis of fanconi anemia: recent progress.Blood. 2006; 107: 4223-4233
- Knockdown of RAD54B expression reduces cell proliferation and induces apoptosis in lung cancer cells.J. Int. Med. Res. 2019; 47: 5650-5659
- Identification of RAD54 homolog B as a promising therapeutic target for breast cancer.Oncol. Lett. 2019; 18: 5350-5362
- RAD54B potentiates tumor growth and predicts poor prognosis of patients with luminal A breast cancer.Biomed. Pharmacother. 2019; 118: 109341
- Inhibition of RAD54B suppresses proliferation and promotes apoptosis in hepatoma cells.Oncol. Rep. 2018; 40: 1233-1242
- Specific synthetic lethal killing of RAD54B-deficient human colorectal cancer cells by FEN1 silencing.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2009; 106: 3276-3281
- Synthetic lethal targeting of superoxide dismutase 1 selectively kills RAD54B-deficient colorectal cancer cells.Genetics. 2013; 195: 757-767
- Differential contributions of mammalian Rad54 paralogs to recombination, DNA damage repair, and meiosis.Mol. Cell Biol. 2006; 26: 976-989
- Double-strand break repair: 53BP1 comes into focus.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2014; 15: 7-18
- GammaH2AX and cancer.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2008; 8: 957-967
- gammaH2AX: a sensitive molecular marker of DNA damage and repair.Leukemia. 2010; 24: 679-686
- ATM phosphorylates histone H2AX in response to DNA double-strand breaks.J. Biol. Chem. 2001; 276: 42462-42467
- DNA double-stranded breaks induce histone H2AX phosphorylation on serine 139.J. Biol. Chem. 1998; 273: 5858-5868
- XRCC3 promotes homology-directed repair of DNA damage in mammalian cells.Genes Dev. 1999; 13: 2633-2638
- Analysis of DNA double-strand break (DSB) repair in mammalian cells.J. Vis. Exp. 2010; 8: 2002
- Stimulation of homology-directed repair at I-SceI-induced DNA breaks during the permissive life cycle of human cytomegalovirus.J. Virol. 2011; 85: 6049-6054
- DNA repair deficiency as a therapeutic target in cancer.Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 2008; 18: 80-86
- Genome maintenance mechanisms for preventing cancer.Nature. 2001; 411: 366-374
- European experts consensus: BRCA/homologous recombination deficiency testing in first-line ovarian cancer.Ann. Oncol. 2021; 33: 276-287
- PARP Inhibitors in ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2020; 382: 1573-1574
- A comprehensive analysis of somatic alterations in Chinese ovarian cancer patients.Sci. Rep. 2021; 11: 387
- Precision oncology of high-grade ovarian cancer defined through targeted sequencing.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 20: 13
- Germline and somatic mutations in homologous recombination genes among Chinese ovarian cancer patients detected using next-generation sequencing.J. Gynecol. Oncol. 2017; 28: e39
- Homologous recombination deficiency and ovarian cancer.Eur. J. Cancer. 2016; 60: 49-58
- FDA approval summary: olaparib monotherapy or in combination with Bevacizumab for the maintenance treatment of patients with advanced ovarian cancer.Oncologist. 2021; 26: e164-e172
- Epithelial ovarian cancer: evolution of management in the era of precision medicine.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2019; 69: 280-304
- The forefront of ovarian cancer therapy: update on PARP inhibitors.Ann. Oncol. 2020; 31: 1148-1159
- Clinical assays for assessment of homologous recombination DNA repair deficiency.Gynecol. Oncol. 2020; 159: 887-898
- Biomarkers for homologous recombination deficiency in cancer.J. Pers Med. 2021; 11: 612
- Dynamically accumulating homologous recombination deficiency score served as an important prognosis factor in high-grade serous ovarian cancer.Front. Mol. Biosci. 2021; 8: 762741
- Activation of epidermal growth factor receptor signaling mediates cellular senescence induced by certain pro-inflammatory cytokines.Aging Cell. 2020; 19: e13145
- HSP90 inhibition downregulates DNA replication and repair genes via E2F1 repression.J. Biol. Chem. 2021; 297: 100996
- Discovery of HB-EGF binding peptides and their functional characterization in ovarian cancer cell lines.Cell Death Discov. 2019; 5: 82
- Oncogenic RAS regulates BRIP1 expression to induce dissociation of BRCA1 from chromatin, inhibit DNA repair, and promote senescence.Dev. Cell. 2011; 21: 1077-1091
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy