Abbreviations:BALF (bronchoalveolar lavage fluid), BMDM (bone marrow–derived macrophage), CREB (cAMP response element–binding protein), CRTC (CREB-regulated transcriptional coactivator), CI (confidence interval), FBS (fetal bovine serum), FGFR (fibroblast growth factor receptor), IL (interleukin), LPS (lipopolysaccharide), M-CSF (macrophage colony-stimulating factor), PDGFR (platelet-derived growth factor receptor), SIK (salt-inducible kinase), TNF (tumor necrosis factor), VEGFR (vascular endothelial growth factor receptor)
Nintedanib inhibits SIK2 in vitro and in cells
Loss of SIK2 activity does not prevent the expression of IL-4-induced markers in BMDMs
SIK2 regulates bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis
- Maher T.M.
- Mayes M.D.
- Kreuter M.
- Volkmann E.R.
- Aringer M.
- Castellvi I.
- et al.
- Ghebremedhin A.
- Salam A.B.
- Adu-Addai B.
- Noonan S.
- Stratton R.
- Ahmed M.S.U.
- et al.
In vitro kinase assays
Bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis
|CD45||BioLegend||30-F11||BV510 or AF700|
|CD206||BioLegend||C068C2||APC, PE-Cy7, or PE|
|F4/80||BioLegend||BM8||FITC or BV421|
|Siglec F||BD Biosciences||E50-2440||PE|
Conflict of interest
- Supporting information
- Global incidence and prevalence of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Respir. Res. 2021; 22: 197
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 378: 1811-1823
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1941-1952
- Inflammation and immunity in IPF pathogenesis and treatment.Respir. Med. 2019; 147: 79-91
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: pathogenesis and management.Respir. Res. 2018; 19: 32
- Macrophages in tissue repair, regeneration, and fibrosis.Immunity. 2016; 44: 450-462
- Macrophages, wound healing, and fibrosis: recent insights.Curr. Rheumatol. Rep. 2018; 20: 17
- M2 macrophages promote myofibroblast differentiation of LR-MSCs and are associated with pulmonary fibrogenesis.Cell Commun. Signal. 2018; 16: 89
- A vicious circle of alveolar macrophages and fibroblasts perpetuates pulmonary fibrosis via CCL18.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2006; 173: 781-792
- Use of animal models in IPF research.Pulm. Pharmacol. Ther. 2018; 51: 73-78
- Antitumor antibiotics: bleomycin, enediynes, and mitomycin.Chem. Rev. 2005; 105: 739-758
- Bleomycin in the setting of lung fibrosis induction: from biological mechanisms to counteractions.Pharmacol. Res. 2015; 97: 122-130
- Ly6Chi monocytes direct alternatively activated profibrotic macrophage regulation of lung fibrosis.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2011; 184: 569-581
- Important roles for macrophage colony-stimulating factor, CC chemokine ligand 2, and mononuclear phagocytes in the pathogenesis of pulmonary fibrosis.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2007; 176: 78-89
- Nanoparticle targeting of de novo profibrotic macrophages mitigates lung fibrosis.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2022; 119e2121098119
- Monocyte-derived alveolar macrophages drive lung fibrosis and persist in the lung over the life span.J. Exp. Med. 2017; 214: 2387-2404
- Chop deficiency protects mice against bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis by attenuating M2 macrophage production.Mol. Ther. 2016; 24: 915-925
- Deletion of ADORA2B from myeloid cells dampens lung fibrosis and pulmonary hypertension.FASEB J. 2015; 29: 50-60
- Macrophage Akt1 kinase-mediated mitophagy modulates apoptosis resistance and pulmonary fibrosis.Immunity. 2016; 44: 582-596
- IRAK-M promotes alternative macrophage activation and fibroproliferation in bleomycin-induced lung injury.J. Immunol. 2015; 194: 1894-1904
- Increased levels of Gab1 and Gab2 adaptor proteins skew interleukin-4 (IL-4) signaling toward M2 macrophage-driven pulmonary fibrosis in mice.J. Biol. Chem. 2017; 292: 14003-14015
- Myeloid-specific disruption of tyrosine phosphatase Shp2 promotes alternative activation of macrophages and predisposes mice to pulmonary fibrosis.J. Immunol. 2014; 193: 2801-2811
- Sustained PI3K Activation exacerbates BLM-induced Lung Fibrosis via activation of pro-inflammatory and pro-fibrotic pathways.Sci. Rep. 2016; 623034
- The salt-inducible kinases: emerging metabolic regulators.Trends Endocrinol. Metab. 2018; 29: 827-840
- Salt-inducible kinases: physiology, regulation by cAMP, and therapeutic potential.Trends Endocrinol. Metab. 2018; 29: 723-735
- Nuts and bolts of the salt-inducible kinases (SIKs).Biochem. J. 2021; 478: 1377-1397
- Salt-inducible kinase-1 represses cAMP response element-binding protein activity both in the nucleus and in the cytoplasm.Eur. J. Biochem. 2004; 271: 4307-4319
- The CREB coactivator TORC2 functions as a calcium- and cAMP-sensitive coincidence detector.Cell. 2004; 119: 61-74
- Differential control of Toll-like receptor 4-induced interleukin-10 induction in macrophages and B cells reveals a role for p90 ribosomal S6 kinases.J. Biol. Chem. 2018; 293: 2302-2317
- The kinases MSK1 and MSK2 act as negative regulators of Toll-like receptor signaling.Nat. Immunol. 2008; 9: 1028-1036
- PGE(2) induces macrophage IL-10 production and a regulatory-like phenotype via a protein kinase A-SIK-CRTC3 pathway.J. Immunol. 2013; 190: 565-577
- Phosphorylation of CRTC3 by the salt-inducible kinases controls the interconversion of classically activated and regulatory macrophages.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2012; 109: 16986-16991
- Inhibition of SIK2 and SIK3 during differentiation enhances the anti-inflammatory phenotype of macrophages.Biochem. J. 2017; 474: 521-537
- The clinically approved drugs dasatinib and bosutinib induce anti-inflammatory macrophages by inhibiting the salt-inducible kinases.Biochem. J. 2015; 465: 271-279
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitors in the treatment of systemic sclerosis: from animal models to clinical trials.Curr. Rheumatol. Rep. 2011; 13: 21-27
- The role of tyrosine kinases in the pathogenesis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.Eur. Respir. J. 2015; 45: 1426-1433
- Efficacy and safety of nintedanib in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2014; 370: 2071-2082
- Application of nintedanib and other potential anti-fibrotic agents in fibrotic diseases.Clin. Sci. (Lond). 2019; 133: 1309-1320
- Nintedanib: first global approval.Drugs. 2015; 75: 129-139
- Dasatinib attenuated bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice.Growth Factors. 2015; 33: 366-375
- BIBF 1120: triple angiokinase inhibitor with sustained receptor blockade and good antitumor efficacy.Cancer Res. 2008; 68: 4774-4782
- Triple angiokinase inhibitor nintedanib directly inhibits tumor cell growth and induces tumor shrinkage via blocking oncogenic receptor tyrosine kinases.J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 2018; 364: 494-503
- Systematic validation of specific phenotypic markers for in vitro polarized human macrophages.J. Immunol. Met. 2012; 375: 196-206
- Interleukin 4 potently enhances murine macrophage mannose receptor activity: a marker of alternative immunologic macrophage activation.J. Exp. Med. 1992; 176: 287-292
- Macrophage galactose-type C-type lectins as novel markers for alternatively activated macrophages elicited by parasitic infections and allergic airway inflammation.J. Leukoc. Biol. 2005; 77: 321-327
- Flow cytometric analysis of macrophages and dendritic cell subsets in the mouse lung.Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2013; 49: 503-510
- Epithelium-specific deletion of TGF-beta receptor type II protects mice from bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis.J. Clin. Invest. 2011; 121: 277-287
- Smad3 deficiency attenuates bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice.Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2002; 282: L585-593
- Pathological versus protective functions of IL-22 in airway inflammation are regulated by IL-17A.J. Exp. Med. 2010; 207: 1293-1305
- Repression of bleomycin-induced pneumopathy by TNF.J. Immunol. 2003; 170: 567-574
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha accelerates the resolution of established pulmonary fibrosis in mice by targeting profibrotic lung macrophages.Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2014; 50: 825-837
- Bleomycin and IL-1beta-mediated pulmonary fibrosis is IL-17A dependent.J. Exp. Med. 2010; 207: 535-552
- IL-10 inhibits inflammation but does not affect fibrosis in the pulmonary response to bleomycin.Exp. Mol. Pathol. 2004; 76: 205-211
- GM-CSF regulates bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis via a prostaglandin-dependent mechanism.J. Immunol. 2000; 165: 4032-4039
- Neutralization of the CXC chemokine, macrophage inflammatory protein-2, attenuates bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis.J. Immunol. 1999; 162: 5511-5518
- Role of the chemokine receptor CXCR2 in bleomycin-induced pulmonary inflammation and fibrosis.Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2009; 40: 410-421
- SIK3 is essential for chondrocyte hypertrophy during skeletal development in mice.Development. 2012; 139: 1153-1163
- Salt-inducible kinases are required for the IL-33-dependent secretion of cytokines and chemokines in mast cells.J. Biol. Chem. 2021; 296: 100428
- Efficacy and safety of nintedanib in patients with systemic sclerosis-associated interstitial lung disease treated with mycophenolate: a subgroup analysis of the SENSCIS trial.Lancet Respir. Med. 2021; 9: 96-106
- Effect of nintedanib on lung function in patients with systemic sclerosis-associated interstitial lung disease: further analyses of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2021; 73: 671-676
- Nintedanib in progressive fibrosing interstitial lung diseases.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381: 1718-1727
- Nintedanib in progressive interstitial lung diseases: data from the whole INBUILD trial.Eur. Respir. J. 2022; 59: 2004538
- Salt-inducible kinase 2 (SIK2) inhibitor ARN-3236 attenuates bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice.BMC Pulm. Med. 2022; 22: 140
- SIK inhibition in human myeloid cells modulates TLR and IL-1R signaling and induces an anti-inflammatory phenotype.J. Leukoc. Biol. 2016; 99: 711-721
- Salt inducible kinases 2 and 3 are required for thymic T cell development.Sci. Rep. 2021; 1121550
- Transcriptome-based network analysis reveals a spectrum model of human macrophage activation.Immunity. 2014; 40: 274-288
- Development and functions of alveolar macrophages.Mol. Cells. 2021; 44: 292-300
- Alveolar macrophages develop from fetal monocytes that differentiate into long-lived cells in the first week of life via GM-CSF.J. Exp. Med. 2013; 210: 1977-1992
- A novel CD206 targeting peptide inhibits bleomycin induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice.bioRxiv. 2020; ([preprint])https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.07.27.218115
- Lack of antigen-specific tissue remodeling in mice deficient in the macrophage galactose-type calcium-type lectin 1/CD301a.Blood. 2005; 106: 207-215
- Transgenic mice with hematopoietic and lymphoid specific expression of Cre.Eur. J. Immunol. 2003; 33: 314-325
- The selectivity of protein kinase inhibitors: a further update.Biochem. J. 2007; 408: 297-315
- Multiparametric and semiquantitative scoring systems for the evaluation of mouse model histopathology--a systematic review.BMC Vet. Res. 2013; 9: 123
- Principles for valid histopathologic scoring in research.Vet. Pathol. 2013; 50: 1007-1015
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy