Abbreviations:CF1-γATP synthase (CF1-γ subunit), 2-Cys Prx (2-Cys peroxiredoxin), FBPase (fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase), Fd (ferredoxin), FTR (Fd–Trx reductase), FTRc (FTR catalytic subunit), GAPDH (glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase), MDH (NADP-malate dehydrogenase), NTRC (NADPH–Trx reductase C), PRK (phosphoribulokinase), RCA (Rubisco activase), SBPase (sedoheptulose 1,7-bisphosphatase), Trx (thioredoxin)
- Arsova B.
- Hoja U.
- Wimmelbacher M.
- Greiner E.
- Ustun S.
- Melzer M.
- et al.
- Thormahlen I.
- Meitzel T.
- Groysman J.
- Ochsner A.B.
- von Roepenack-Lahaye E.
- Naranjo B.
- et al.
Creation of FTR knockout mutants by CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing in Arabidopsis
FTR is essential for light-dependent reduction of chloroplast stromal proteins
FTR is essential for photosynthesis and chloroplast development
FTR is not essential for light-dependent reduction of ATP synthase CF1-γ subunit
Plant materials and growth conditions
Creation of ftrb-CR mutants using CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing
Complementation of FTRB gene in ftrb-CR mutants
Creation of ftrb-CR1 ntrc double mutant
Chlorophyll content and a/b ratio
- Porra R.J.
- Thompson W.A.
- Kriedemann P.E.
Determination of protein redox state
Photosynthetic electron transport
Conflict of interest
Funding and additional information
- Supplemental Figures S1–S7 and Table S1
- Thioredoxin.Annu. Rev. Biochem. 1985; 54: 237-271
- Thioredoxins: structure and function in plant cells.New Phytol. 1997; 136: 543-570
- The ferredoxin/thioredoxin system: from discovery to molecular structures and beyond.Photosynth. Res. 2002; 73: 215-222
- The path to thioredoxin and redox regulation in chloroplasts.Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 2016; 67: 1-24
- Intrasteric inhibition in redox signalling: light activation of NADP-malate dehydrogenase.Photosynth. Res. 2002; 72: 1-12
- The chloroplast ATP synthase features the characteristic redox regulation machinery.Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2013; 19: 1846-1854
- Redox regulation of the Calvin-Benson cycle: something old, something new.Front. Plant Sci. 2013; 4: 470
- Dithiol disulphide exchange in redox regulation of chloroplast enzymes in response to evolutionary and structural constraints.Plant Sci. 2017; 255: 1-11
- Calvin-Benson cycle regulation is getting complex.Trends Plant Sci. 2021; 26: 898-912
- Thioredoxins in chloroplasts.Curr. Genet. 2007; 51: 343-365
- Comparative genomic study of the thioredoxin family in photosynthetic organisms with emphasis on Populus trichocarpa.Mol. Plant. 2009; 2: 308-322
- Plastid thioredoxins: a “one-for-all” redox-signaling system in plants.Front. Plant Sci. 2013; 4: 463
- The Arabidopsis plastidial thioredoxins: new functions and new insights into specificity.J. Biol. Chem. 2003; 278: 23747-23752
- Glutathionylation of chloroplast thioredoxin f is a redox signaling mechanism in plants.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2005; 102: 16478-16483
- Overexpression of chloroplast NADPH-dependent thioredoxin reductase in Arabidopsis enhances leaf growth and elucidates in vivo function of reductase and thioredoxin domains.Front. Plant Sci. 2013; 4: 389
- Thioredoxin selectivity for thiol-based redox regulation of target proteins in chloroplasts.J. Biol. Chem. 2015; 290: 14278-14288
- Distinct electron transfer from ferredoxin-thioredoxin reductase to multiple thioredoxin isoforms in chloroplasts.Biochem. J. 2017; 474: 1347-1360
- A novel NADPH thioredoxin reductase, localized in the chloroplast, which deficiency causes hypersensitivity to abiotic stress in Arabidopsis thaliana.J. Biol. Chem. 2004; 279: 43821-43827
- The function of the NADPH thioredoxin reductase C-2-Cys peroxiredoxin system in plastid redox regulation and signalling.FEBS Lett. 2012; 586: 2974-2980
- Characterization of plastidial thioredoxins from Arabidopsis belonging to the new y-type.Plant Physiol. 2004; 136: 4088-4095
- Redox regulation of chloroplastic glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase: a new role for f-type thioredoxin.FEBS Lett. 2009; 583: 2827-2832
- Inactivation of thioredoxin f1 leads to decreased light activation of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase and altered diurnal starch turnover in leaves of Arabidopsis plants.Plant Cell Environ. 2013; 36: 16-29
- Chloroplastic thioredoxin m functions as a major regulator of Calvin cycle enzymes during photosynthesis in vivo.Plant J. 2015; 84: 900-913
- Chloroplast ATP synthase is reduced by both f-type and m-type thioredoxins.Biochim. Biophys. Acta Bioenerg. 2020; 1861148261
- Biochemical basis for redox regulation of chloroplast-localized phosphofructokinase from Arabidopsis thaliana.Plant Cell Physiol. 2021; 62: 401-410
- Plastidial thioredoxin z interacts with two fructokinase-like proteins in a thiol-dependent manner: evidence for an essential role in chloroplast development in Arabidopsis and Nicotiana benthamiana.Plant Cell. 2010; 22: 1498-1515
- ACHT4-driven oxidation of APS1 attenuates starch synthesis under low light intensity in Arabidopsis plants.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2015; 112: 12876-12881
- Thioredoxin-like2/2-Cys peroxiredoxin redox cascade supports oxidative thiol modulation in chloroplasts.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2018; 115: E8296-E8304
- Impact of key residues within chloroplast thioredoxin-f on recognition for reduction and oxidation of target proteins.J. Biol. Chem. 2019; 294: 17437-17450
- Thioredoxin-like2/2-Cys peroxiredoxin redox cascade acts as oxidative activator of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in chloroplasts.Biochem. J. 2019; 476: 1781-1790
- Oxidative regulation of chloroplast enzymes by thioredoxin and thioredoxin-like proteins in Arabidopsis thaliana.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2021; 118e2114952118
- Rice NTRC is a high-efficiency redox system for chloroplast protection against oxidative damage.Plant Cell. 2006; 18: 2356-2368
- Two distinct redox cascades cooperatively regulate chloroplast functions and sustain plant viability.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2016; 113: E3967-E3976
- NTRC-dependent redox balance of 2-Cys peroxiredoxins is needed for optimal function of the photosynthetic apparatus.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2017; 114: 12069-12074
- Posttranslational influence of NADPH-dependent thioredoxin reductase C on enzymes in tetrapyrrole synthesis.Plant Physiol. 2013; 162: 63-73
- NADPH thioredoxin reductase C is involved in redox regulation of the Mg-chelatase I subunit in Arabidopsis thaliana chloroplasts.Mol. Plant. 2014; 7: 1252-1255
- NTRC links built-in thioredoxin to light and sucrose in regulating starch synthesis in chloroplasts and amyloplasts.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2009; 106: 9908-9913
- Redox regulation of starch metabolism.Front. Plant Sci. 2018; 9: 1344
- The unprecedented versatility of the plant thioredoxin system.Trends Plant Sci. 2017; 22: 249-262
- Small molecules govern thiol redox switches.Trends Plant Sci. 2018; 23: 769-782
- Chloroplast redox regulatory mechanisms in plant adaptation to light and darkness.Front. Plant Sci. 2019; 10: 380
- Chloroplast thioredoxin systems dynamically regulate photosynthesis in plants.Biochem. J. 2019; 476: 1159-1172
- New light on chloroplast redox regulation: molecular mechanism of protein thiol oxidation.Front. Plant Sci. 2019; 10: 1534
- Redox homeostasis in photosynthetic organisms: novel and established thiol-based molecular mechanisms.Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2019; 31: 155-210
- Redox regulation of chloroplast metabolism.Plant Physiol. 2021; 186: 9-21
- Current knowledge on mechanisms preventing photosynthesis redox imbalance in plants.Antioxidants (Basel). 2021; 10: 1789
- Shifting paradigms and novel players in Cys-based redox regulation and ROS signaling in plants - and where to go next.Biol. Chem. 2021; 402: 399-423
- Thioredoxin f1 and NADPH-dependent thioredoxin reductase C have overlapping functions in regulating photosynthetic metabolism and plant growth in response to varying light conditions.Plant Physiol. 2015; 169: 1766-1786
- Multi-level regulation of the chloroplast ATP synthase: the chloroplast NADPH thioredoxin reductase C (NTRC) is required for redox modulation specifically under low irradiance.Plant J. 2016; 87: 654-663
- The chloroplast NADPH thioredoxin reductase C, NTRC, controls non-photochemical quenching of light energy and photosynthetic electron transport in Arabidopsis.Plant Cell Environ. 2016; 39: 804-822
- Crosstalk between chloroplast thioredoxin systems in regulation of photosynthesis.Plant Cell Environ. 2016; 39: 1691-1705
- Two chloroplast thioredoxin systems differentially modulate photosynthesis in Arabidopsis depending on light intensity and leaf age.Plant J. 2020; 104: 718-734
- Identification of plant glutaredoxin targets.Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2005; 7: 919-929
- Structural basis of redox signaling in photosynthesis: structure and function of ferredoxin:thioredoxin reductase and target enzymes.Photosynth. Res. 2004; 79: 233-248
- Simple method to determine protein redox state in Arabidopsis thaliana.Bio Protoc. 2019; 9e3250
- Determining the rate-limiting step for light-responsive redox regulation in chloroplasts.Antioxidants (Basel). 2018; 7: 153
- Topology of the redox network during induction of photosynthesis as revealed by time-resolved proteomics in tobacco.Sci. Adv. 2021; 7eabi8307
- Structural basis of redox modulation on chloroplast ATP synthase.Commun. Biol. 2020; 3: 482
- Characterization of Arabidopsis mutants for the variable subunit of ferredoxin:thioredoxin reductase.Photosynth. Res. 2004; 79: 265-274
- Ferredoxin:thioredoxin reductase is required for proper chloroplast development and is involved in the regulation of plastid gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana.Mol. Plant. 2014; 7: 1586-1590
- Ferredoxin/thioredoxin system plays an important role in the chloroplastic NADP status of Arabidopsis.Plant J. 2018; 95: 947-960
- NADPH thioredoxin reductase C and thioredoxins act concertedly in seedling development.Plant Physiol. 2017; 174: 1436-1448
- The NADPH-dependent thioredoxin reductase C-2-Cys peroxiredoxin redox system modulates the activity of thioredoxin x in Arabidopsis chloroplasts.Plant Cell Physiol. 2018; 59: 2155-2164
- Thiol modulation of the chloroplast ATP synthase is dependent on the energization of thylakoid membranes.Plant Cell Physiol. 2012; 53: 626-634
- Distinct redox behaviors of chloroplast thiol enzymes and their relationships with photosynthetic electron transport in Arabidopsis thaliana.Plant Cell Physiol. 2014; 55: 1415-1425
- Regulation of coupling factor in field-grown sunflower: a redox model relating coupling factor activity to the activities of other thioredoxin-dependent chloroplast enzymes.Photosynth. Res. 1990; 26: 213-222
- Generation of targeted knockout mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana using CRISPR/Cas9.Bio Protoc. 2017; 7: e2384
- Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana.Plant J. 1998; 16: 735-743
- Determination of accurate extinction coefficients and simultaneous equations for assaying chlorophylls a and b extracted with four different solvents: verification of the concentration of chlorophyll standards by atomic absorption spectroscopy.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1989; 975: 384-394
- Up-regulation of mitochondrial alternative oxidase concomitant with chloroplast over-reduction by excess light.Plant Cell Physiol. 2007; 48: 606-614
- Roles of the cyclic electron flow around PSI (CEF-PSI) and O2-dependent alternative pathways in regulation of the photosynthetic electron flow in short-term fluctuating light in Arabidopsis thaliana.Plant Cell Physiol. 2014; 55: 990-1004
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy